Monday, June 8, 2009

My First Post!

Finally, I have begun writing a blog. I have thought about it for awhile, and actually started this page late last year... but it wasn't until today that I have finally decided that I am ready to write about my life and to share it openly with other people.

I have had Crohn's Disease for 12 years now, and in the process so much has happened to me as a person directly because of chronic illness, and also as part of the usual happenings in life. Along the past 12 years I have come to meet other people with Crohn's Disease, and it's sister condition, Ulcerative Colitis (UC). I have also gotten to know people with other chronic and incurable diseases, like rheumatoid athritis and SLE (Lupus). In all my many encounters I have been amazed at the strength and resilience I have seen in so many people, and to some extent I have found them surprisingly, even in myself.

This ability to carry on despite what life throws at one has become a minor obsession with me... I am now looking at how people cope with Crohn's and UC as part of my studies. I remain acutely aware that I am trying to live through a chronic and incurable disease myself.

Some days I cope, and other days I don't. Some days I am fine and functional and other days I am too exhausted to speak. Some days I laugh a lot, other days I weep a lot. I want to share this journey with anyone who will read about the minutiae of my existence, not only because I feel a compelling need to share the nitty-gritty details of my life with other people, but because deep down inside me I do believe that every meaningful experience each one of us has had and will have has the capacity to encourage someone else.

In that spirit I begin my blog today. I promise that it will not be too dark, that there will be lighter moments, and that I will try not to be overly self indulgent and that I shall endeavour to make the experience of sharing my life with you as interesting as possible. Oooh... sounds like a tall order. I can only try. :)

pav

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your blog.
    I didn't know about your chronic illness.
    I think sometimes writing about something - whatever it may be - can be quite cathartic. Thank you for sharing. I look forward to following you here on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your blog will be a truly inspirational place. Can't wait to read more. I hope my jokes on FB will continue to at least make you smile or at least give you a chuckle during this time when you have to deal with this chronic illness. Let's see that miracle soon while we all have a good laugh along the way. (For you and my mum).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for the encouragement. Deeply appreciated. I do hope to inspire in some way. I also just love to write. :) Thanks for reading. pav

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pav,
    I am starting from the VERY start! I just finished reading your 2nd post and all I can think is how brave you are and how in spite of your 'visitor', you are so gracious, kind and generous to those around you... When I grow up, I want to be like you.. x Michelle

    ReplyDelete