Tuesday, May 11, 2010

I Remember, Yet I Choose Also to Forget

Inspired by "Remembrance is a form of meeting, Forgetfulness is a form of freedom" : from "Sand and Foam" by Khalil Gibran, and events in my life.


Words were said that hurt me deeply, words I didn't deserve,
Words that burnt into my mind, and burnt away my love.

I was sad, and broken hearted, and my heart was grasped by pain,
I did not know how to break free, though I tried again and again.

As time passed I thought my pain would lessen and I could forgive,
But it took so long, time seemed to crawl and I barely managed to live.

And then this pain faded away as another took its place,
A more urgent need, a pressing pain clamouring for space.

I gave it rein, and let it work its way into my heart,
I dealt with death and the past as my father did depart.

I chose to put my prior pain aside and open up my soul,
I hoped to deal with the past and slowly become whole.

It seemed to happen, in smallish starts I felt my pain diminish,
And yet the healing and restoration never really finished.

My heart still broken, my soul burdened, my body felt defeat,
I spiralled down into a state of not being able to eat.

As days passed by I had fewer options and finally just the one,
And so it was that for me the unthinkable was done.

I lay on the table asleep with parts of me cut away and seized,
They removed the parts in me that were useless and diseased.

And yet I knew my heart and soul, my very inner being,
Also had parts that needed pruning and mending and healing.

As I mended you came to me, your hand reached out to mine,
I felt the love and the care, I knew we would be fine.

There was no need for words and lengthy recriminations,
I felt the love, forgiveness flowed, without explanations.

A burden fell away from me, I felt freedom anew,
All heaviness was gone, my heart felt like it flew.

And from that day we began again, you and I, my friend,
And so I hope to continue until the very end.

Words caused my heart to break, and pain flooded in,
Silence then mended it back again and joy dwells within.

I chose to forgive, I released my hurt and pain,
And in so doing I have found my friend again.

My prayer is that all will be well and friendship eternal be,
Despite the troubles and the woes of life for you and for me.

Pavitar Kaur Gill
21/04/10


6 comments:

  1. Hi Titri,

    It is beautiful..

    Regards,
    Jessy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Jessy, Thanks for stopping by, and for reading. Glad you liked it.

    best always
    titri aka Pavitar

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's very beautiful... and of course, very sad too..
    Very well written..

    =]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for visiting, Anthony. Appreciate the comments very much. When I write from my own experiences the pain makes it sad, but I hope it imbues it with a certain transparent beauty too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope the sun shines for you soon..... Take care

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Yogasavy, it is shining ! I am good. Take care too :)

    ReplyDelete