Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Numb and Dumber

I've just gone off steroids, namely Prednisone, after almost 6 months of tapering from 30mgs down to zero. I have to say nothing quite gives you a roller coaster ride like Pred does. One of the things I dislike about life with Crohn's is having to go on drugs that affect me in horrible ways. In addition, there is the fact that as one ages, bits and pieces of the body start to fall apart. If one lives with pre-existing chronic illness then the bits and pieces falling apart is likely to be accelerated, and so many find themselves aging before their time.

I think the worst thing, for me, is the sense that my brain may be aging fast. My friends tell me they too have trouble remembering things, they too are confused from time to time, they also feel a little brain dead on occasion and forget what they had for breakfast. Phew, I am not alone. But I am scared that my brain may be aging much faster, and I wonder if my meds are affecting it in any way.

The other day I tried to say something to my daughter, and a complete sentence of pure gibberish came out. I was shocked. I recovered and made sense when I next spoke, so I figured I wasn't in the middle of a stroke or something! But what happened to my brain, and why couldn't I string some simple words together? For the next few days I noticed that I kept getting consonant sounds mixed up, here and there, but eventually that passed.

I feel numb and dumb sometimes in my brain. I try to make intelligent conversation and feel like I am failing all the time. Either it doesn't sound intelligent to me or I am afraid to engage people because I don't want them to think I am stupid. And so for some months now I have chosen largely to hide away. Not quite a social recluse, I prefer to write on Facebook, or sms my frens where I can type and re-type and self correct. And yes, my spelling mistakes are piling up and I am embarrassed by that.

Wondering whether my hormones are out of whack I did a hormonal blood panel test. Twice. Both times the results say I am menopausal. Huh? Or is that Duh? Really? I do remember other women saying that when "the change" came into their lives they went through a season of brain fog. I think I have brain fog. Along with brain swamp, and maybe brain marsh too :)

Definitely something is happening to my brain. It's losing it's sharpness. I'm losing my mental acuity and that makes me very sad. I used to be a Uni debater. I enjoyed witty repartee. On the spot speedy responses, the thrust and parry of ideas flowing in a near frenzy. What a far cry from those days. Of course, that was in the late 1980's... It's been over 20 years now! But I cherish that side of me, it's an important part of who I am. To find it diminishing, even in the slightest form, is disheartening.

Just how much of what I am experiencing now is due to my meds and indirectly to Crohn's? I wish I knew. I wish I could stave off this mental slide. I wish I could rejuvenate my brain and feel smart again... Maybe I should just accept my diminishing self and love myself and write a whole lot more and not worry about being with people and sounding intelligent. People are tiring anyway. Haha! Amazing how the mind can justify a million things if it tries hard enough! Yes, people are tiring, and I'm bad at sitting down and being quiet. I have to speak, and then I worry about sounding intelligent! haha :)

I remember once a few years ago I attended a fancy dinner, and I was so tired and probably my brain was shutting down for the day and I had so little to say to the near strangers around me. I am pretty certain I heard one man tell his wife, "See that's what happens when you stay home and be a housewife." Gasp! I don't always want to chat up strangers, though on a really good day I can do a decent job! But the cheek of the man! I am not going to go into the whole thing about stay home vs working mums... people do what suits them best. I don't think my brain has atrophied from staying home. I do know that my heart has grown. So, maybe that's a trade off I can live with! Seriously though, it does take a brain to raise 4 kids! Let Mr Smarty Pants try it for a week. He'll be begging for mercy! :)

I have become more sensitive to remarks about my brain or lack thereof. Just today I was hurt by a stranger who probably meant no harm, but seemed to imply I wasn't witty. I connect witty with brainy and so an attack on the witty front is a an attack on the entire brain! I was saddened. I was tearful. I was overwhelmed by a sense of failure. Oh my. I put it down to the effect of steroid withdrawal. Pred is well known to cause a flux in emotions. I decided to be kind to myself, and go with the flow. I wasn't stupid, I told myself. Just silly. (which is not the same as being stupid! haha!) I just wish that I had a thicker skin. Then I'd shed fewer tears, and life would be a lot less moist. Maybe the brain fog is a result of evaporating tears? A sort of enveloping higher humidity caused by tears burning off my overly heated skin? oooh :)

Well, who knows why the brain fog is here. Let it be. I embrace whatever it may be. I hope it isn't anything serious. I really don't want to deal with too much more. In the midst of the brain fog I am still able to write, to chat with my kids who put up with the mists of time that Mama emerges from, to make my husband laugh, to cheer up a friend in need. Life is good. Perhaps the less verbally said the better? My new mantra... "Less IS More" :)

Thanks for reading.

Pav


2 comments:

  1. Hi dear! I truly understand what you are going through. Congratz on going off on steroids! (",) I am still tapering off and hopefully by this week it will be down by 4mg! Still a long way to go! haha anyway have great faith in Him. He gives us the sickness and only He can eradicate it (",)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hie Jassi! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I do hope you are feeling better. Take care, and yes, keep believing. Big hug!

    ReplyDelete