Saturday, August 19, 2023

X-Ray Vision

(Wrote this poem in June, 2021. Came across it again today. Sharing it here. )


X-RAY VISION


What if I saw you when I looked at you, 

Really, truly saw you,

Naked and bare before me

Despite being fully dressed? 


What if I glimpsed a flash of something real,

When our eyes met,

And I wanted more than a peep at the real you? 


What if I sought you out, 

The true you, lurking amongst the shadows, 

Playing hide and seek, 

Running away just when I get too close?


What if I saw right through you, 

And every game you played,

Knowing how much it costs you to step into the light, 

And to be truly seen?


What if I had x-ray vision that sliced through all the murky grey, 

And brought you out into the open, 

Standing, trembling, pale and afraid,

On the brink of meaningful connection with another soul,

Afraid of being found unworthy? 


What if I held you and told you how beautiful you were,

Without the cover of games and shadows, 

But simply seen for who you are, 

Flaws and failings, warts and weaknesses, alongside strengths,

Imperfectly perfect? 


What if I said I loved you,

And you were worthy of love, 

No matter where your past had led you, 

No matter what you'd said and done, 

Would you believe me? 


What if I saw right beneath your skin and into your bones, 

Discerning the essence of you as a person, 

And looking into your eyes, 

More than just a glimpse but a deep gaze, 

Revealed myself, reflected in you?


What if I had x-ray vision, 

And every time I looked at you, 

I saw you, wondrously broken yet complete, 

Exactly as you are?

With my humanity revealed in yours, 

I finally see myself. 


Thanks for reading,

Pav 

(10th June 2021)





No comments:

Post a Comment