Thursday, February 1, 2018

Resting Required

Living in gratitude on Day 26 of a 30 day liquid diet. Today I am grateful for rest.

I dropped my steroid dose from 15mgs to 10mgs today and felt exhausted by noon. It's just the way they affect the body when dosages change. For a couple of days I'll be very tired till I adjust to the new dose.

I decided that apart from a trip to the supermarket, and planning a meaty dinner for the kids, I wasn't going to do much. I wanted a day of rest.

I discovered AD Kingdom and Empire on Netflix and watched several episodes. Great stuff about the Apostles and their Christian witness after the crucifixion of Jesus. I especially enjoyed the transformation of Peter, from guilt ridden denial to the rock upon which Christ built His church. Watching them being persecuted for their faith gave me a new found respect for the early church pioneers and martyrs. Their faith was truly costly, and their lives constantly fraught with danger and yet their love for God never flagged.

If only I could have that sort of energy and zeal in life! It's just so very incredibly hard with chronic illness. Some days I pack in too much and other days I fear I do too little. Nowadays I don't want to care too much about what folks think. If I need to lie down on the sofa, well then I jolly well will do so because I know I need to rest. It's my body, so I'm the expert, really. Nobody else can walk in my shoes so they'll never know how hard it can get.

Today's restfulness was lovely. My body begged for rest and I listened and was kind to myself. I am grateful that I can rest without guilt and there is no expectation of having to be someone I am not. I am not Superwoman, just simply imperfectly perfect me. And that is restful enough. So very grateful for this day.

Thanks for reading,

Pav

No comments:

Post a Comment