Thursday, October 15, 2020

Day 15 in A Month of Gratitude (15th October 2020)

Day 15 of A Month of Gratitude, #AMOG, and today I am #grateful for #painting. Painting is an amazing #hobby and #therapeutic for me, primarily because I feel it gives me an opportunity to create something from nothing, and provides me a chance to make choices and exercise control over something in my life.


The #creativeprocess allows us to express our inner energies and yearnings through a safe medium. What could be more expressive then allowing the mind to be set free to move through the hands to create something new, something as yet unborn, unseen, and unknown? What a privilege to bring that into the world... it's almost like #bringingforth or giving birth, and isn't that what the creative arts do, give birth to something beautiful and meaningful?


The chronically ill typically feel like they have #lostcontrol over some aspects of their lives. The illness can flare unpredictably, symptoms of the illness and side effects of meds affect their quality of life, and they may struggle to function normally. In fact, for many, their lives are disrupted in ways that they would never have imagined possible. Painting is one way to #regaincontrol over some aspect of one's life. I feel this works for me, at least.


I see a #blankcanvas, clean and empty, waiting for me to leave my mark as I choose to do so. I choose the size of the canvas, and the colours I want to see, and even if I paint from a picture that I have chosen, which I often do, it's still up to me to decide how closely I wish to follow it, or the extent of the liberties I wish to take, and so it becomes #mychoices from start to end. In that sense, I am able to exercise control over the process. If I decide not to paint it, that, too, is my decision. The whole process is mine, and nobody can take that away from me, not even illness. To the extent that I feel and appreciate this sense of choice and control, painting is therapeutic because it gives me a platform to be in charge, when for many years, and on many occasions, illness has taken centrestage or called the shots.


When you are stuck at home, or in hospital, unable to do the things you'd like to do, and your world shrinks to choices made for you, and your autonomy dwindles down to next to nothing... finding joy in a pursuit that sets you free, opens the world to you, allows you to say things without words, gives you the means to explore beauty and get back in touch with your joyful, playful self... that activity becomes precious. In fact, it comes a part of your very existence, and you know you need it, and derive such pleasure from it that it is life giving. For some, music provides this outlet, for others, it could be gardening, pottery making, jewellery making, or whatever activity that allows for the self to be involved in creative and life giving pursuits. Find what works for you, and enjoy it, throw yourself into it, and when life seems to sweep you along in a fierce undertow over which you might feel you have little or no control, reach out for your creative pursuit and say, "Hey, I can't do much about anything else, but this one thing I can manage, and I enjoy, and I am going to make something beautiful!" It'll amaze you just how much you'll come to love it, and much it will lift you up. It's what I call #nourishingthesoul. Do your soul a favour, do something creative! ❤


Pix of painting with base coat done and waiting for me to add layers. So much noise from construction next door that it's been hard to think... perhaps I shall paint and let the colours speak for me.

#AMOG #AMonthOfGratitude #GratefulForPainting #Grateful #Painting #Therapeutic #Meaningful #BringingForth #CreativeProcess #RegainControl #BlankCanvas #MyChoices #CreativePursuits #LifeGiving #Uplifting #NourishYourSoul #MentalHealthAwareness #IMadeItThroughDayFifteen


Thanks for reading, 


Pav


No comments:

Post a Comment