Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Day 21 in A Month of Gratitude (21st October 2020)

Day 21 in A Month of Gratitude, #AMOG, and today I am #grateful for #cleanwater. Yes, that thing that flows out of our taps and down our drains with so much ease is something we take for granted and I am so very grateful for it. Not rubbing it in my Selangor friends' faces but reading about water cuts there has made me all the more grateful. I hope your water woes are resolved soon!


Water is simply so #essential to life itself, that not having any, or easy #access to a clean and constant supply is just unthinkable. I remember shortages in Malaysia when supply was cut for a day or two and we filled up buckets and rationed usage, and as a child it was almost like a game. Who could use the least amount of water, and yay, no need to bathe! Yikes... compared to my usage now... gosh, I'm practically a water waster. I must be more conscious of my usage and #minimisewastage!


I can, thankfully, drink straight from the tap, if I wish, and the water tastes fine, or it's in its boiled version in my several cups of tea, coffee or milo that I get through in a day. Most of me is water, apparently, and so I tell myself not to cry and lose too much of myself! Haha! But I keep reminding myself to take shorter delicious, luxuriant, hot, therapeutic, hydromassaging showers everyday because the amount of water involved is frightening. I remember when the kids were tiny and enjoyed bath tub soaks and on a very rare occasion we could get all 4 in there... what a saving of water! But now we all have our own solo lengthy water therapy sessions... and as much as it is lovely, I hope we can learn to make it quick! Turning the tap off while brushing my teeth took me awhile to do because I loved the sound of running water, again so #therapeutic to one's ears but ever so wasteful. 


I am surrounded by #restorative bodies of water at home. I have a fish pond with a waterfall that runs for 12 hours, and so the sound of running water is there to enjoy in an enclosed system that recycles and filters the water so fish can survive. It's beautiful to listen to and to watch, and I indulge in it knowing it's a closed system. Similarly, I have a pool with a salt filtration pump system so we can swim and enjoy the water as often as we wish. I am a total water baby, I come alive in water, especially in the ocean. I often think it's a vestigial link to the primordial soup I first grew in, the amniotic fluid of my mother's womb. I feel safest and lightest surrounded by salt water, being on dry land with gravity weighing down on me is tiring! I love water, in all its forms, except maybe hail stones!


How blessed are we in Singapore to have access to this necessary treasure of clean water, and how easily we can waste it during our ablutions, our various laundry, kitchen and household washings and cleanings, and how much we miss it when it is taken away. As we explore ways of creating sources of #potable or drinkable water, we will still need to find ways to be far less wasteful. As I watch videos of people in poorer countries walking for miles to get a pot of clean water and walking home with it on their heads, queues of people waiting for handouts, many wells, rivers and reservoirs polluted, and those who do not have regular access to clean water falling ill due to water borne diseases... my heart is broken because, really, access to clean water ought to be a basic human right. And yet we don't hear enough about it because the richer nations take it for granted, and the poorer nations don't seem to have a voice because nobody cares enough about them. 


We need to #care. Consider ways to minimise wastage, and #donate to charities that help provide clean water to those who need it. One of my favs:

https://www.charitywater.org/donate


#AMOG #AMonthOfGratitude  #GratefulForCleanWater #Water #SourceOfLife #WaterWaster #PotableSources #Essential #Therapeutic #Restorative #WaterShortages #WaterPollution #ABasicHumanRight #AccessToCleanWater #MinimiseWastage #Care #Donate #CharityWater #IMadeItThroughDayTwentyOne


Thanks for reading, 


Pav





 








No comments:

Post a Comment