Tuesday, October 6, 2020

Day 6 in A Month of Gratitude (6th October 2020)

Day 6 in A Month of Gratitude, #AMOG. Today, I am #grateful for #mobility, something we all take for granted until we start to lose it. There are days when my joints hurt and walking is a chore but I keep pushing because the exercise actually helps. I call it "thawing the overnight muscle freeze". 🤣


As I walk, I notice others doing the same. From around 5am onwards, a recurring community of walkers, runners and cyclists can be seen navigating their way around my estate. I remember the old Uncle who had clearly suffered a stroke, and who was led out by his helper for his rounds. Also, the more sprightly Uncle who had hurt his back and wore a support belt to help him keep going. One day, I saw an old Aunty wheeled to her home after a jaunt around the neighbourhood in a semi reclining wheelchair, quite dazed, perhaps medicated and not long for this earth. I never saw her again. 


Every morning now, I look out for my fav Aunty in her window. I call her Mary, because she just looks like such a sweet and graceful Mary, and might have been a teacher in her heyday. I can just imagine her in a cheongsam with pearls, expounding the virtues of learning. She calls out to me from her second storey window, I slow down and look at her and we exchange pleasantries and waves. Today, we had the longest conversation yet as I slowed to a standstill and engaged her sweet self. "Good morning, lovely morning walk, yah". "Enjoy your walk". "God bless you". I made suitable replies to each of these statements, blessed her too, and wandered off with a lighter heart.


I can walk, and enjoy my mobility and meander around my estate for 40 mins every morning if I fancy, but Aunty Mary cannot. For whatever reason, she is confined to her room in the mornings, and her contact with the outside world is through these little encounters with walkers; it's her way of remaining connected. Many months ago, she called out to me as I hurried past, and I was acquainted with her existence. Every time I walk past now, I look for her. 


I've seen her daughter (presumably) leave the house sometimes, and I've wondered if I should enquire about Aunty Mary or if that would cross a line. Maybe Aunty Mary wants to keep our chats a "secret", maybe her family doesn't want strange neighbours poking into their affairs. Maybe Aunty Mary is being imprisoned against her will while she is alive so they can siphon off her assets when she goes?!Calm down, Pav, you've watched too many movies! 🤣


As I walked past today I was grateful for Aunty Mary herself, but she reminded me of the joy of mobility, of being able to put on your shoes and just head off in some direction and observe the world go by even as you are in motion. Part of #mentalhealth involves getting out and about and exercising, getting our bodies moving, muscles flexing, oxygen pumping, and generally treating our bodies with the respect they deserve. I hope to keep moving for as long as I can until I simply cannot, and I'm hoping that day doesn't come soon. Staying mobile now can help delay so much, mentally and physically, plus it gives me a buzz... hope you are out and about as often as you can be, dear FB frens. 


#AMOG #AMonthOfGratitude #GratitudeIsAnAttitude #GratefulForMobility #ExerciseIsGood #WalkingRocks #ThawingTheOvernightMuscleFreeze #AuntyMaryIsAMystery #MentalHealth #MentalHealthAwareness #IMadeItThroughDaySix


Thanks for reading,


Pav













No comments:

Post a Comment