Thursday, October 8, 2020

Day 8 of A Month of Gratitude (8th October 2020)

Day 8 of A Month of Gratitude, #AMOG finds me #grateful for #opportunities. Today, I am reflecting on an opportunity I had last night to deliver a talk in a webinar to a group of parents who are part of a programme about the science of focus. They spend 2 weeks learning about creating an environment of focus at home, and I was the expert speaker who turned the focus on them. 


My hour long talk was entitled "Rethinking Successful Parenting: Shifting the Focus to Ourselves". In it, I contrast false notions of successful parenting with the actual harsh realities of parenting, examine parental guilt and it's impact on family dynamics, look at the negative outcomes of unrealistic expectations, make the case for a family blueprint of shared values and common goals, explain the need for healing of past wounds, encourage the practice of mindfulness and the pursuit of self care, emphasise the importance of communication, and outline the virtues of counselling as a means of finding help and growth as a parent. 


I can't quite explain how wonderful it felt to be giving this talk and answering Q&A afterwards... there is a real joy in undertaking something deeply meaningful that is partly drawn from your learning, but largely comes from a wealth of lived experience. I've learnt so much in my life, from the many things I did right, and from my many mistakes, that to be given the opportunity to share that with young parents is #therapeutic in itself for me. How lovely to share from the heart, and how touching to have questions afterwards that reveal the deep need for help that young parents have. Therapeutic activities that serve others are great for our #mentalhealth and give us a boost as we make meaning of our lived experiences. Nothing in life is ever wasted!


I am so grateful to Amutha Saravanan and the Da Vinci Group for giving me the opportunity to be a part of their excellent programme. As neuroscientists, their approach is evidence based and rock solid. I am honoured to be a part of their panel of expert speakers. And totally excited about being invited back on November 4th. Woohoo! If you're a parent, and want to know more, do visit their website at 

https://bit.ly/thescienceoffocus5daychallenge


The opportunities abound to connect with good people who are doing good things, and I am so grateful for them. 🙏


Ps. Caught a pre webinar pix with second son who is a natural born counsellor. My kids were excited for me, though the irony wasn't entirely lost on them. "Ma is giving a talk on parenting... giggle giggle". "Well, yeah, kids, I know a thing or two, and there's no such thing as a perfect parent!" (Or perfect kids, for that matter... but I rarely say that in a loud voice!) 🤣


#AMOG #AMonthOfGratitude #October #GratefulForOpportunities #ScienceOfFocus #TheDaVinciGroup #ParentingSkills #ParentingWebinar #HelpWithTheJourney #Counselling #PatientVoicesSG #Therapeutic #MentalHealth #NothingInLifeIsEverWasted #IMadeItThroughDayEight


Thanks for reading,


Pav

























No comments:

Post a Comment